Some archeologists believe that Stonehenge - the mysterious arrangement of enormous elongated stones in England - is actually a crude effort by the Druids to build a computing device. ~Dave Barry

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Horsham

I needed a break from the madness of London, something a bit calmer. I explored Horsham, the city I’m staying in.

It seems that there is almost as much history here as there is in London. Horsham is over a thousand years old, closer to 1500 years old. .I explored the historical museum, and the shopping areas. Unfortunately it rained…wouldn’t you know it, the one day I want to relax and explore I can’t because of the weather.

Horsham have been a city since roman times, mostly as a center for trade of some form or another. Farming and light industry made up the bulk of the trade.

I was also able to do some urban exploration http://www.uer.ca we explored a 100 year old minister’s house. The house is slated for destruction to build apartment buildings. I suppose when your city is over 1000 years old, a 100 year old building is not that old.

Due to rain, fire and a lack of concern, the house is collapsing allowing more rain and weather to get in. I will post pictures when I have better access to the net.

History is relative. With Canada being 138 years old, and Montréal being about 360 years old, we are very young when compared to the major cities of Europe. When Montréal was founded most of the major European cities were already big and bustling. I am not trying to minimize Montréal’s importance as an important city or as my home, it’s that Montréal’s history isn’t very long.

Most of the cities and town I pass on the train are still filled with old Victorian buildings; in fact I’m staying in a Victorian house, modernized of course. That doesn’t exclude the drain pipes running down the outside walls. I’ll have pictures later.

The walls are not thick enough to have the pipes running inside, or if they are thick enough, they are solid brick. The weather here is not as cold as at home, so there is very little risk of them freezing. This is not just typical of residential buildings in small towns, but in the center of London’s consulate district.

S.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home